Work Experience 12A
School age students need to be at least 15 years of age and are usually in grades 10, 11 or 12. Adults (over 19 yrs) can use one Work Experience course as part of the Adult Graduation Certificate and should consult any one of the School Counsellors at SIDES.
In Work Experience 12A, students will work either with a current employer, or a volunteer organization. They are expected to review safety regulations and workplace protocols before they start the program. Agreement forms are required in both settings, paid and unpaid positions, so that the employer and student are both covered with a “contract.” This is particularly important when working in a volunteer position. This will help students gain work experience while maintaining coverage under WBC. You will need to have a resume and cover letter ready for your application for this course.
Student-paced. Students are expected to submit work regularly and to complete this course within one calendar year.
Orientation to WEX12A Assignment
- approximately 10 hours of assignment work and form completion to prepare you for your work experience
- work cannot be commenced or counted for credit until this has been marked.
- completion and documentation of 120 hrs of work
- completion of an employer evaluation and a self-reflection
- Orientation Course including Focus Assignment, Resume, Cover Letter, Safety Quiz and Worksite Orientation Forms 25%
- Teacher Check In With Supervisor 5%
- Time Log of 120 hours 20%
- Employer Evaluation 45%
- Student Self Reflection 5%
Students are supported by the online teacher for the course, and can receive assistance by email, phone or in person at SIDES.
Basic technological skills. There may be requirements for the chosen workplace such as particular clothing or footwear.
Click here to view the Learning Outcomes.