SIDES Academic Honesty Policy
Cheating is a broad term that encompasses any and all attempts by a student to dishonestly or unfairly give, use or obtain any information or material for a school test or assignment. The following examples are considered to be cheating:
- Copying another person's work and claiming or misrepresenting authorship. This includes essays, assignments, homework, lab reports, computer programs, drawings, sketches, designs and video or audiotapes and all other assigned work, whether they are the product of another student or of someone outside the school, including previously published work.
- Supplying information or work of any kind to another student with the knowledge that it may be copied or used, even if that knowledge includes an expectation that the copy will be changed enough to conceal the fact that it is a copy.
- Copying from another person's test paper or knowingly allowing another student to copy from your test paper.
- Bringing or using unauthorized notes or equipment in a test (including electronic translators, programmable calculators, computers, cell phones, iPods, etc.)
- Unauthorized communication of any kind during a test or exam.
- Being falsely absent from a test or class assignment and then consulting one or more classmates before making up the assignment or test.
- Copying the work of another student who took the same course/exam prior to the student in question.
- Missing a test or an assignment without a valid reason or justifying the reason under false pretenses (forged note or phone call.)
SIDES Academic Dishonesty Consequences
The first time a student is caught cheating on an examination, she/he will be given a zero. The student will be referred to SIDES Administration and reminded of the Cheating Policy. A copy of the incident will be kept in the student's school record.
If a student is caught cheating on an examination a second time, the student will receive zero. The student will be referred to SIDES Administration and immediately withdrawn from the course relating to the incident. Parents and school of record will be notified.
If the student is caught cheating on an examination a third time (pertaining to a different course), the student will be withdrawn from the school in ALL courses. A record of expulsion will be retained on the SIDES student record.