Grades K - 6
The SIDES Elementary Program is located at our Beaver Lake Campus, 4828 W. Saanich Road, about two kilometers north of the Royal Oak Campus. Our phone number is 250-479-7125. Click here for elementary staff locals.
The SIDES Elementary Program matches the BC Ministry of Education curriculum and includes current and relevant supporting resources. Because we are a BC public school, there is no cost to BC residents for the program.
SIDES Elementary Program Options
There are many reasons parents choose SIDES as an option for educating their elementary-age children. Families typically consider students' personal and educational needs, students' learning styles, and the family's home situation when making educational choices. Some family circumstances may make it difficult for students to attend a neighbourhood school, including families travelling or living temporarily away from their usual home. To meet the needs of all students, SIDES offers a variety of program options. SIDES teachers will be happy to work with you and your child in planning a program that assures a successful learning journey.
- Structured Program: In this program option, students use Ministry-approved learning materials provided by SIDES and work under the guidance of a SIDES teacher.
- Unstructured Program: In this program option, students use learning materials chosen by the family in collaboration with the SIDES teacher.
- Blended Program: In this program option, students use both Ministry-approved learning materials as well as learning materials of the family's choice, and the entire program is designed in collaboration with the SIDES teacher.
All SIDES elementary programs include a feeling of belonging:
- guidance and support from BC-certified teachers;
- frequent contact with teachers and classmates through email, phone, face-to-face meetings, and virtual 'live' classroom;
- opportunities for students to participate in group activities such as educational outings, school picnics, talent shows, bike rodeos, and more;
All SIDES elementary programs include support for student learning:
- all learning materials are provided, covering all subjects;
- ongoing feedback and assessment of student work;
- evaluation of student progress through formal reporting as required by Ministry guidelines;
- an Individualized Learning Plan that best suits student needs, including a plan for those students with special needs, learning challenges, and exceptional abilities;
- support for the use of technology for communication and learning;
- support for approved Fine Arts, Physical Education, Technology and/or educational activities that support the Prescribed Learning Outcomes in the student's Individualized Learning Plan; this support may include the loan of a computer.